World Cocktail Day recently passed and it put me in mind as to why one should have a cocktail. So forthwith (I must be in a British frame of mind) here are nine very good reasons to have some spirit in your glass.
• When the bomb gets dropped, our isolated island is sufficiently spirited to keep us going through the dark and dank days. Thank you to: Victoria Distillers, De Vine, Sheringham, Fermentorium, Arbutus Distillery, Ampersand, Shelter Point, Wayward Distillation House – and if there is a row boat still available – Legend Distilling and Island Spirits.
• At home it’s cheaper than drinking a nice bottle of wine.
• Little Jumbo. A cocktail list with humour and deliciousness!
• There are so many yummy variations that one can never get bored.
• Cascadia Liquor. I stopped by their recent opening at Eagle Creek and was reminded what a fabtastulic selection they have. It bowls me over every time and makes it next to impossible to settle for Tanqueray.
• You’ll have a reason to use that Parfait d’Amour that your Aunt gave you.
• Not only are we blessed with the best breadmaker, Fol Epi owner Cliff Leir, but he’s brilliant enough to hire bar manager Adam Bonneau for his new downtown restaurant, Agrius.
• You can buy your local gin or vodka at the farmer’s market.
• ‘Cause your in-laws are more fun after you’ve had a 3 oz. cocktail.