The Bay Centre in partnership with the Victoria Arts Council is looking for a local or a collective of emerging artist(s) from Vancouver Island and surrounding Islands’ creative community to create a significant installation which will be on display at The Bay Centre for two months leading up to Canada Day celebrations.
The call for artists is a partnership program with The Bay Centre and other 20VIC managed properties across the country. Each 20VIC managed shopping centre are inviting local Canadian artists to create one-of-a-kind installations that will be featured in prominent locations at their properties. These installations will serve as a focal point and Canada 150 landmark in The Bay Centre as well as an interactive photo backdrop for Canada 150 celebrations.
Keeping in mind the overall theme of Canada’s past, present and/or future, the artist will design and create a unique piece in the artist’s medium of choice. All installations across Canada will be unveiled on May 1, 2017 and The Bay Centre installation will remain on display until July 9, 2017. The successful candidate will be notified in early March and have one and a half months to complete the project.
The selected artist or collective of artists will receive the following:
- An honorarium of $2,000 for the artist’s time and material supplies
- In-mall promotion of installation and display in a high traffic area with exposure to over 1 million visitors for two months at The Bay Centre
- Promotion across The Bay Centre’s social, digital, mobile channels and E-newsletter database
- PR support and promotion for the Canada 150 Artist Installation, the artist and the “selfie” contest
- Opportunity to host an art exhibit, including art sales, at The Bay Centre for three weeks in either May or June 2017
The artist application process can be found at thebaycentre.ca. The deadline for submissions is March 5.