It feels like we just got into the heat of summer when I glance at the cover of a magazine and notice the headline: Fall Fashion.
I smile in disbelief because autumn is my favourite season for fashion, yet I’m loving the dog days of summer. We have been so fortunate on the West Coast this year with endless sunny days and warm weather it’s hard to believe that autumn is upon us. Although we don’t experience the drastic change in weather like our East Coast neighbours, we can still splurge on some of the major fall fashion trends and tweak them for our milder west coast climate. The trends for this fall are a dramatic shift from last year, with a change in silhouette for menswear. Here are my top 5 fall fashion trends.
Top 5 Women’s Fall Fashion Trends:
1. Neo Victorian: For the past few years forecasters have been focusing on the 20th century for inspiration but this fall takes us back to the 19th century with the focal point on high necklines and ruffled collars. Fabrics include lace details and skirts have flouncy hemlines.
2. 70’s Vibe: The 1970s have been prominent in previous seasons and remain a dominant trend this fall with high-waisted, flared jeans, gauzy gowns, shearling coats, patchwork and bohemian silhouettes.
3. Chunky Knits: Layering heavy sweaters is a nice alternative to a heavy coat, especially in the fall when the weather is still mild. Heavy cable knit sweaters with an oversized fit balanced with a slim fitting pair of pants or skirt on the bottom completes this look.
4. 1980s Rewind: Elements from the 1980s may surface on the runways for fall 2015, from neon colours, long line blazers, glitzy sequined dresses to a modern take on the mutton sleeve.
5. 21st Century Mod: The A-line silhouette is the shape of the season, layered with a turtleneck under a mod dress or mini skirt. The mod trend has been around for a few years and this is a modern twist on an old favourite.
Top 5 Men’s Fall Fashion Trends:
50 Shades of Gray: All shades of gray were everywhere on the runway for fall 2015. The prominence of gray was on everything from suiting, knitwear, outerwear to sportswear.
1. Slouchy and Oversized Coats: Say goodbye to the ultra fitted silhouette from the Mad Men days because the over-sized, slouchy fit is here for fall. Coats have a soft shoulder and an unstructured relaxed fit.
3. Layered up: Pair your light weight merino wool sweater or turtleneck underneath your chunky oversized cardigan for a layered look this fall. Don’t be afraid to mix prints, colours and textures.
4. Baggy Trousers: This is a bold contrast from the previous ultra-slim fitting pants for menswear. Men’s trouser now have a higher waist and loose cut similar to the Zoot Suits of the 1940s. I think it will take a while for this trend to make its way to the mainstream as most men are just now comfortable with the slim fitted silhouette.
5. That 70s Show: Shearling wool coats, flared jeans, oversized pockets, patched fabrics and turtle necks are all popular 1970s inspired trends for fall 2015.
If you have any fashion questions email me at firstname.lastname@example.org.