Housing with Art sets stage for formerly homeless artists

“Art enables us to find ourselves and lose ourselves at the same time.” – Thomas Merton

For the fourth year in a row, Pacifica Housing, Island Blue Art Store and Market on Yates have teamed up to connect people who have experienced homelessness with their community through art.

“The May Tenant Art Show Housing with Art is a wonderful and highly therapeutic opportunity for tenants to put their talents on display. It’s a chance to have their quality creative pursuits appreciated by the public and to receive the recognition they deserve both as artists and as people who have overcome significant challenges,” says Brad Crewson, Director of Support Services at Pacifica Housing.

A wide variety of work done by tenants living in Pacifica Housing’s four supported housing complexes or those receiving housing outreach support service, will be on display at Island Blue Art Store. Participating artists face multiple challenges to find and maintain housing in the private market. Many struggle with mental health or substance use issues and have experienced an extended period of homelessness in their lives.

Join them for a special after-hours exhibition on May 5, from 5.30 to 7pm at the Island Blue Art Store. Several of the artists will be on hand to meet guests and speak about their experience. Refreshments are being generously provided by Market on Yates.

Tickets: $10. Proceeds will support Pacifica’s art program. 80 per cent of the sale of the artwork will benefit the tenants and the remaining 20 per cent will support Pacifica’s art program to purchase supplies and healthy snacks. 100 per cent of ticket proceeds will support Pacifica Housing’s tenant art program.

Artwork will be on display in store for the month of May. Attendees of the exhibition will have the first opportunity to purchase original works of art.

Click here for more information.

 

Get local stories you won't find anywhere else right to your inbox.
Sign up here

Just Posted

Duncan’s Big Stick lights up red to signal COVID’s devastation of the arts

“COVID-19 has been truly devastating to the Cowichan Performing Arts Centre”

Pandemic reunites 2000s era Victoria rock band The Origin

Saanich musicians recording for first time since 2008

From Nanoose Bay to the bookshelf, Howard the Gnome now a children’s book

Vancouver Island author explores Howard’s move down-Island

Nanaimo country singer releases new music video

‘Adrenaline’ is the second single from Joel Lee’s upcoming debut EP

Join Black Press Media and Do Some Good

Pay it Forward program supports local businesses in their community giving

Art+Earth Festival gets growing this weekend

Find out what events are in-person and what’s happening online

Film about missing and murdered indigenous women makes Nanaimo debut

A mother and daughter search for answers in Sonia Bonspille Boileau’s ‘Rustic Oracle’

Nanaimo’s Harbour City Photography Club goes virtual to adapt to COVID-19

Club’s exhibitions, meetings and presentations are now occurring online

Nanaimo’s Western Edge Theatre returns to the stage in Port Theatre debut

Theatre group presents ‘2 Across,’ described as a ‘middle-aged romantic comedy’

Authors nominated for Victoria Book Prize awards

Finalists for 2020 announced in two categories

Three Nanaimo-area writers up for CBC non-fiction prize

Sheila Brooke, Vicki McLeod and Rachael Preston make 35-person longlist

Resident Alien returns to Ladysmith for filming in early October

New SyFy series back after spring filming interrupted by COVID-19

Most Read