We know not everyone enjoys their brew straight up. There are times when a beer won’t cut it on its own. So, Monday Mag asked our own Lounge Lizard to share their top five beer cocktails.
1) Black Velvet: If you’re going to drink beer, why not add some sparkle?
5 oz champagne
5 oz Guiness
Combine in a glass, stir lightly.
2) Ale-ng Bloody Mary: A little of my own invention that makes for a happy hubby.
2 oz vodka
2 oz tomato juice
2 dashes Worcestershire Sauce
1 dash hot sauce (or to taste)
½ oz lime juice
2 oz light ale
Put everything except the ale into a shaker and shake till well chilled. Pour into a tall glass filled with ice and top with beer. Garnish with pickled asparagus or your veggie of choice.
3) Arf and Arf: Invented in 1888 by renowned bartender Harry Johnson
3 to 4 oz porter
3 to 4 oz ale
4) Dogfish Cocktail: A Jamie Boudreau classic that’s a pain to create because you have to make the Pumpkin Ale liqueur but worth the bother.
1¾ oz Rittenhouse 100
¾ oz Carpano Antica Formula
½ oz Cynar
¼ oz Pumpkin Ale liqueur
Stir together over ice in a shaker and strain into a chilled cocktail glass.
5) The Shandy: There are plenty of variations on this classic. Some are equal parts lemon lime soda, ginger ale or ginger beer but my favourite Englishman goes for:
1 pint of ale
1 shot of lime cordial
Fill glass ¾ full and pour in lime cordial.