You’re never far from fresh on Southern Vancouver Island – fresh from the sea, from the orchard and from the farm. Add to that the handiwork of local artists and artisans, entertainment, food and kid-friendly settings, and you have a thriving market culture. Here’s our guide to some of the region’s best.
1. James Bay Market, Victoria – Enjoy an eclectic mix of artisan crafts, produce, plants, food and entertainment. Corner of Superior and Menzies Streets, by the Parliament Buildings, Saturdays, April through October. Info: jamesbaymarket.com
2. Moss Street Market, Victoria – Locally grown organic produce, artisan wares and a funky urban vibe. Corner of Moss and Fairfield Streets, 10am to 2pm Saturdays, April through October; market heads inside in winter. Info: mossstreetmarket.com
3. Oak Bay Summer Market, Oak Bay – On the second Wednesday of the month, June to September, Oak Bay Avenue turns into a pedestrian-only, European-style market filled with fresh foods, artisan wares, entertainment and more. Info: oakbay.ca
4. Oaklands Sunset Market – Find more than 50 local food growers and producers, artisans, crafters and more, 4:30 to 8:30pm, Wednesdays, June 27 to Aug. 29 at Oaklands Community Centre. Info: oaklandscommunitycentre.com
5. Esquimalt Farmer’s Market – Filling Memorial Park (1230 Esquimalt Rd.) Thursdays between May and September, this afternoon market welcomes shoppers from 4:30 to 7:30pm with locally grown and produced goodies. Info: esquimaltmarket.com
6. Peninsula Country Market – “A country market among friends” is as close as this vibrant Saturday morning market at the Saanich Fairgrounds. More than 50 vendors present farm-fresh goodies, plus live music, munchies and children’s fun. Info: peninsulacountrymarket.ca
7. Sidney Street Market – A must-visit summer street market stretching along Beacon Avenue in downtown Sidney, 5:30 to 8:30pm Thursdays June 7 to Aug. 30. Info: sidneystreetmarket.ca
8. North Saanich Market – Rain or shine, head to Saint John’s United Church, 10990 West Saanich Rd. in North Saanich for the Saturday morning market. Each week from June 2 to Oct. 7, vendors will share their goods alongside entertainers between 9:30am and 12:30pm Info: northsaanichfarmmarket.ca.
9. Goldstream Station Market, Langford – Full of flavour, vendors make, grow, bake or raise the products they sell. Saturdays, 10am to 2pm through mid-October, corner of Goldstream Avenue and Veterans Memorial Parkway. Info: goldstreamstationmarket.ca
10. Metchosin Farmers’ Market, Metchosin – Stop by the Metchosin Municipal Grounds from 11am to 2 pm Sundays from Mother’s Day to the last Sunday of October for farm-fresh vegetables, fresh-baked breads and treats, jams, salsa, plants, gifts and lots more. Info: metchosin.ca/content/farmers-market
11. Sooke Country Market – Welcoming shoppers from 10am to 2pm Saturdays between May and October, visit this community market at Otter Point Road at Eustace Road. Open rain or shine, this is your place to discover local vegetables and fruit, fresh-baked treats, plants, flowers and seeds, eggs, woodworking, local artwork and lots of smiles! Info: sookecountrymarket.com
12. Duncan Farmers’ Market – The goodness of the Cowichan Valley in one location. Saturdays, 9am to 2pm in downtown Duncan, Info: duncanfarmersmarket.ca
13. Summer Market, Chemainus – Tasty farm produce, baked goods, sweets, flowers and crafts. Wednesdays, May to September in Waterwheel Park, Info: chemainus.bc.ca